Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Quilt for K.I.F. - Selecting the Pattern and Fabric: Irish Crosses in Pink and Purple

A while ago I posted about the baby quilt I made for our niece.  She has now moved into a very big big-girl bed and it's time to make her a new quilt!  After much deliberation and consultation with various quilting mentors, I decided on Irish Crosses in pinks and purples. 

Here is a picture from my pattern book.  Just imagine the dark green areas in dark purple small prints and the light green areas in light pink batiques.  I have also modified it so that each "cross" has two rows of triangles instead of four.  One of these days, I promise to make a quilt where I just follow the instructions.


Each block consists of one center square in the theme fabric, with a row of light pink triangles and a row of dark purple triangles.


After hemming and hawing over dozens of fabrics, we decided on these:


The purple print fabric in the middle will make up the "theme" squares, with the dark purples and light pinks making up the triangles for the croses.  The pink print fabric at the top will be the borders. 

And this fabric is for the back:


I just hope that it is girly enough for our little princess niece!






No comments:

Post a Comment