Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Pumpkin Chili

With fall and winter fast approaching, I decided to make chili over the weekend.  I also was persuaded to try to incorporate pumpking into my chili recipe.  I have to admit the results were mixed.  I will post my standard chili recipe soon, and still have yet to find a better version.

Ingredients:
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 jalapeno, finely minced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 green peppers, diced
- 4T chili powder
- 1T cumin
- 2t dried oregano
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1T worscestershire sauce
- 2T dijon mustard
- Large can diced tomatos, undrained
- 1 package dried great northern beans, cooked
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded

Heat 1T vegetable oil in a large stock pot over medium heat.  When hot, add garlic, jalapeno, onion, and green pepper.  Cook until soft, about 5 minutes. 

Add chili powder, cumin, and oregano.  Cook an additional 2 minutes.

Add chicken stock, worcestershire, dijon, pumpkin, tomatos, and beans.  Bring to a boil and gently simmer for about 20 minutes.  Add the chicken breasts.  You can keep the chili hot over low heat, covered, as long as needed until you're ready to eat.

Serve with shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, and corn bread.


Note:  For my standard recipe, omit the pumpkin and add 1 jar chili sauce, found in near the katchup in the grocery.

No comments:

Post a Comment