Monday, September 27, 2010

Quilt for Baby J.H.

This is a quilt I made for one of my friend's newest additions to her family.  This quilt was a personal milestone for me in my quilting life because it is the first quilt made entirely from my stash!  I also love the bright colors of the zoo animals with the multi-colored zebra print log cabin around them.  One of the great things about baby quilts is that the simplest quilts to piece together can still be interesting and fun!  It is all about fabric selection, which is one of my favorite steps of making a quilt. 


I did all of the quilting on this by hand, with quilting in the ditch around each animal block, in the ditch around the zebra-print log cabin, and then two larger squares in the bright blue sashing.  Doing long straight lines like this takes no time, especially with a smaller baby quilt, and is the perfect thing to do while watching a movie or TV.


The final fun element of this quilt was a happy coincidence.  I had pieced the whole top when I learned that the baby's nursery was an alligator theme!  By chance I had included a square with a cute alligator in the lower right block.  I love it when a quilt just comes together so perfectly.  Sometimes a quilt just seems meant for the little person who receives it. 

3 comments:

  1. Anne, this is gorgeous! You continually amaze your friends with your variety of interests and talents. What a thoughtful gift to give to your loved ones. We all appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, Anne! I liked reading about the construction...I agree that selecting the fabrics must be the most fun, but also difficult. I love walking around fabric stores, but there are so many options!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is Betsy, I using Nick's google to post comments. I am signed up as a follower under my yahoo account.

    I have to say that J.H. just loves his quilt and his mommy thinks its absolutely beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete